Bosch GTS1031 Review
If portability is top of your list when shopping for a table saw, then you really need look no further than the Bosch GTS1031. Its even been designed to be carried with one hand, and at 52lb’s it really is a light enough to do so. It comes with Bosch’s modular blade guard called the “Smart Guard System”, which consists of a modular blade guard and riving knife to give you better control over the material while cutting.
The GTS1031 also comes with Bosch’s SquareLock rip fence which when set squares itself parallel to the blade for safer cutting. It has a very respectable maximum ripping capacity of 18″, which is great for a saw this size. However if you are going to need to be able to rip full 8′ x 4′ sheets in half, this one wont be able to.
|Bevel Angle Range
|-2° to 47°
|Cliplister ID Request Key
|Depth of Cut at 45 Deg.
|Depth of Cut at 90 Deg.
|22.5″ x 22.5″ x 13″
|No Load RPM
|Table Top Dimensions
|22.5” W x 20” D
|Weight of Saw (lbs.)
- Portability – With its balanced one handed carry handle and compact design and the ability to store all the accessories under the table. This saw is the ultimate portable table saw.
- Durable all-steel base design – The steel base incorporates the carry handle and also gives the saw protection from the abuse that tools often get from on the job site.
- SquareLock Rip fence- This has been designed and engineered to be as accurate and true as it possibly can. The fence glides along the rail and locks into place perfectly square to the blade.
- Complete on Tool Storage – The rip fence, smart guard, miter gauge, push stick and wrenches are all protected and stored under the table during transport and storage.
- Smart Guard System – This consists of a quick to set up and easy to use modular blade guard, anti kickback pawls and riving knife that gives you superior control and safety whilst cutting.
- Tool free dust chute clear out – Tool free access on the back of the saw for easy maintenance.
Base and Stand
Quite simply the GTS1031 doesn’t come with a stand, but one is available as an optional extra. The GTA500 is exclusively compatible with the GTS1031 and I would say is an essential accessory for this saw if you’re going to be on site and not have a raised surface in which you can place the saw.
Table and Fence
At 22.5″ x 20″ a lot of thought has gone into getting the perfect balance of ripping capacity and portability, and Bosch have got it right. If you are looking for a large rip capacity from your saw, then this isn’t the saw for you and Bosch know that. They have made what is arguably the best portable table saw where size and weight is the top priority.
The Bosch GTS1031 incorporates Bosch’s “Square Lock” rip fence, which is a great piece of engineering. The fence glides along the rail and when locked into place squares itself perfectly to the blade allowing for good, safe cutting.
The Miter gauge is OK for the job, but this may be something to upgrade in the future and there are some excellent ones to choose from. As with most saws in this price range the blade that ships with the saw can leave a lot to be desired and its constantly an area where manufacturers try to save some money, but if you get yourself a good Freud blade and it’ll make a huge difference.
The 1700 Watt 120V motor is more than capable of handling itself with pretty much everything that you throw at it, including thick hardwoods. It spins at a very respectable 5000RPM but being a brush motor is quite noisy, but this is to be expected from these types of saw.
This is a great saw for the portability. Although I think the optional stand (GTA500) is a must. It may also surprise you that you can fit a 1/2″ dado to this saw and I would recommend that you buy the dado insert (TS103) if you plan on using it to cut dado’s. Get yourself a new blade and I don’t think you will be disappointed.